From September 2016, all parents/carers of children in Reception up to Year 9 have the right to request that the school their child attends considers establishing (or extending) wraparound and / or holiday childcare.
Childcare providers may also request to use school facilities for wraparound and / or holiday provision at times when the school is not using them.
Wraparound care includes, for example:
- early morning 'breakfast club' provision
- after-school childcare which extends beyond the end of the school day during term time
- childcare which is available in the school holidays
Timetable and process for requests
The timetable and process for requests at this academy during 2018/19 is set out below:
19 March 2019 – 30 April 2019 – Annual request window
1 May 2019 – 31 May 2019 – Consideration of requests
8 June 2019 – Response to requests
The annual request window is now open.
The following issues will inform the consideration of requests from parents/carers and childcare providers:
- The level of demand for wraparound and / or holiday provision for different age groups
- Whether there is existing provision at the academy
- Whether there are nearby schools/academies who would be interested in collaborating to offer wraparound and / or holiday provision to reach a critical mass
- Whether there is suitable space available within the academy to run the wraparound and / or holiday provision at the times requested
- Practical issues such as site security, cleaning etc
- Whether there is existing similar provision available locally
- Whether there is sufficient leadership capacity to manage the provision
- Whether there is evidence of value for money
Outcome of requests received during 2017/18
Four requests for additional wraparound childcare were received from parents/carers or childcare providers during the 2017/18 request window. This number of responses is below the threshold we have set to consider the matter further.